Thursday, July 16, 2009

Foodie Friday Flan

We love Flan, and it is really so simple to make! There are many recipes with variations of ingredients with everything from cream cheese to bread crumbs, but here is a recipe I like to use that is quite simple.
Flan
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
2 large eggs
3 large egg whites
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
1 -1/2 cups milk
1 tablespoon vanilla
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally. Increase heat to medium-high and continue to cook without stirring until syrup turns a deep amber color (about 5-8 minutes). Immediately pour syrup into a glass pie dish (or 6 individual Pyrex custard cups). Tilt the dish to coat bottom with syrup. Whisk eggs, egg whites in a large bowl. Blend in remaining ingredients. Pour the mixture through a strainer (to remove any lumps) into the sugar syrup coated dish. Bake in water bath* for 60 to 70 minutes. Cool to room temperature and then place in refrigerator for 4 hours or overnight. When chilled, invert onto a platter and gently remove pie dish. Cut into wedges and serve immediately.
In water bath* *water bath = place dish in large roasting or baking pan. Add enough hot water to come halfway up sides of the pie dish.
Just out of the oven, cooling before going into the refrigerator.

10 comments:

  1. My mom loves Flan, I will try this recipe and share it with her. THANKS!!! Geri

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love flan too! This looks so yummy! I will have to try it.
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gee, this looks good. My husband loves flan but I've never made a version that uses sweetened condensed milk. I'll have to give your lovely recipe a try. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love flan too! This looks like a really good recipe....thanks, I'm going to try it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Flan is one of my all time favorite desserts. I'll try your recipe for it. Happy FF!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Flan has such wonderful flavor and texture. I love it too. thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never tried a flan but it sounds good.

    Cheri
    www.itssovery cheri.blogspot.com
    come see me I have a give away going on all month

    ReplyDelete